Westaway Motors are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This notice explains how, when and why we collect personal information and how we use it and keep it secure, in compliance with applicable data protection laws, in particular the General Data Protection Regulation.
Who are we?
Westaway Motors is the trading name of Westaway Motors LTD, registered in England, No: 00845122.
Our registered address Main Road, Maidwell, Northampton, NN6 9JA and phone number is 01604 686311. For general enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
What information is being collected and when?
In our garages:
- When you purchase a vehicle we collect your contact information, as well as vehicle information.
- If you book a test drive or enquiry about a car, we collect your contact details
- When your vehicle is in for a service/MOT/repair; Your contact information and – if you are hiring a courtesy car- a copy of your driving license
On our website:
- If you make an enquiry via our website, we collect your contact data
Why is the data being collected, and what’s our lawful basis for doing so?
Some information we ask for is required for us to provide you with the best service possible. We also ask for some information so we can communicate our news and offers with you, but we will always ask for your consent to do so.
We are also legally and contractually required to collect some data from you.
We process your contact information for a number of reasons;
- It is our legal obligation to notify the DVLA of a vehicle purchase, so we collect you name, address, and vehicle details so that we can pass it to them to register the vehicle in your name.
- We keep a record of it so that we can contact you when the MOT is due and at the regular service intervals to ensure your vehicle stays in the best possible condition. We process this data on the lawful basis of our legitimate interests as a business.
- If you make an enquiry via our website, we process your data under our contractual obligation to deal with the request. If you make a face-face or telephone enquiry, your contact details with be recorded in our order book.
- Marketing; our lawful basis of processing your personal data to send you marketing communications is legitimate interests, as we only ever send you information that is relevant to you and similar to goods or services you have purchased (or showed interest in) in the past. However you can still opt out of receiving marketing emails from us at any time.
We will always ask for consent from you to receive communications that are not related to a product or service you have previously obtained from us.
- If you require a courtesy car from us whilst yours is repaired or serviced, we take a copy of your driving licence as it is our contractual duty to do so in case of damage or an accident to be able to pass to our insurance company.
- Finance applications; if you require finance, the majority of lenders require you to input information directly into their portal, and you do this yourself whilst in the garage. A small number of lenders require paper applications, but again you fill these in yourself. In either case, we do not have a record of any of the information, just the outcome of the application.
Who will it be shared with?
We do not sell or rent your data to any third parties.
However we may share selected data with third parties who, in accordance with our processor service agreements provide specific services to us. These include our client database provider, IT services and marketing agency, to ensure we can provide certain services to you. We may also share selected data with HMRC as well as professional providing services to us (legal, accounting etc.) In accordance with our legal obligations. We ensure that all precautions are taken to protect your data and require third parties to respect the security of your data and to treat it in accordance with the law. They act only in accordance with our instructions and they agree to keep your personal data confidential and secure.
When you purchase a car we are required to share certain information- in line with our contractual obligations- about you and the vehicle with the relevant vehicle manufacturer (or their manufacturer central hub, when relevant) and also the DVLA, so they can contact you about vehicle recalls or warranty related communications (where relevant). We also share the information with the DVLA to register the vehicle purchase as it is our legal obligation to do so.
How do we store your data?
We store all information on our secure client database that is password protected, and backed up to an encrypted, password protected cloud storage system. We take all reasonable steps to protect your personal data from loss or destruction.
Where you have filled in any details on a paper form in a garage, it gets scanned and added to the client database and then securely destroyed. If you have made a face-to face or telephone enquiry and your contact details have been recorded in our order book, these order books are securely stored and then destroyed on an annual basis.
How long will your data be kept for?
In relation of marketing or sales communications, you will be removed from that contact database after 3 years from our last contact with you. You can however ask us to stop sending marketing & sales communications at any time.
Your details will be stored on our secure client database for 6 years after our last contact with you in the case of car sales or servicing/Repairs/MOTs.
How you can access and update your information
You are able to view the data we hold on you at any time by contacting 01604 686311 or email@example.com
We are committed to ensuring the accuracy of your information, and regularly check the details we have are correct. If you change any details that we hold, please notify us by either phone on 01604 686311, email firstname.lastname@example.org
You have the right to decide whether or not you want to receive marketing information from us. If you do not wish to receive communications from us by post, email or phone, in the first instance, you can notify us of that in any of our garages, or my phone. You can also change how you would like us to contact you by letting us know at any time.
All marketing communications from us will always have a clear and easy way to unsubscribe.
If you would like us to delete all contact information we hold, please contact 01604 686311 or email@example.com
If you want to complain about communications you receive from us, you can email Tom Westaway on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01604 686311.
If you are still unhappy or think that we have misused your data, you can also complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at any time.
This policy was updated on 24th May 2018